I like tofu, I really do, but my husband could definitely do without in his diet. I had mentioned in an earlier post that we are trying to do some more meatless meals to broaden our food horizons and be a little healthier. I thought I could use some tofu for a meatless meal, and better yet, I was going to camouflage it so my husband would never even know the difference. Needless to say, he could still tell it was not chicken, BUT he actually admitted that it tasted good enough to finish dinner. Victory for tofu.
Some of you have probably heard of tofu before but are wondering what the heck it really is. Tofu is coagulated soy milk (bean curd) pressed into a block. Yeah, I know, that definition doesn’t do much for my cause, but seriously, it isn’t as bad as it sounds. Tofu is high in protein and, according to the FDA, has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease if integrated into a diet AND is gluten and dairy free. I’m a fan.
For this tofu adventure, I made a safe meal: Spicy Stir Fry
- 1/2 of a tofu package (medium firm)
- 1/4 c chicken or vegetable broth
- Stir fry veggies (I did a frozen pack, but fresh is even better)
You can really use whatever you like, I put pea pods, squash, carrots, red peppers, and lima beans
- GF soy sauce (La Choy is GF and I am sure there are others)
- Sweet chili sauce ( out of laziness I bought some from Trader Joe’s because it is yummy and GF but you can make your own…email me for a recipe if you want)